Sullivan County Democrat
O n l i n e  E d i t i o n National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper
  SPORTS ARCHIVES Established 1891 Callicoon, New York  
home  |  archives
Democrat Photo by Rob Potter

FALLSBURG'S RYAN KIRTACK slides in an attempt to knock the ball away from Alex Reda of Webutuck in the second half of Saturday’s game.

Fallsburg Loses

By Rob Potter
FALLSBURG — October 28, 2003 – The Section IX Class C boys’ soccer opening round game between Webutuck and host Fallsburg on Saturday afternoon was filled with emotions.
The Comet players, coaches and fans cheered loudly when Fallsburg senior forward Sean Buckner scored the game-tying goal with just 15 seconds left in regulation to send the contest into overtime.
A short while later, however, it was the Webutuck players, coaches and fans who were cheering loudly.
After two scoreless 10-minute overtime periods, Webutuck’s Alex Reda scored a goal three minutes into the first of two five-minute sudden victory overtime periods to give the visitors a dramatic 3-2 victory.
The winning goal was set up when Webutuck’s Steven Scott gained control of the ball near the Fallsburg goal box and moved it ahead as Comet goalie Harris Seletsky moved out to cut down the angle for a potential shot. Scott then attempted to pass the ball to Reda, but the ball hit a Fallsburg player and bounced near the other end of the goal cage. Reda was then able to quickly get a foot on the ball and send it into the net.
With the victory, fifth-seeded Webutuck (9-8-2) advances to the Class C semifinals, where it will face top seed Rhinebeck. Fourth-seeded Fallsburg ends its season with a 7-7-1 record.
“We had a 2-1 lead in the second half and then we kind of fell asleep and they were able to tie it up,” Webutuck Coach Mark Moren said. “This was a tough game against Fallsburg, though. We needed a good break and we got it.”
In addition to tying the game with a goal in the final minute of regulation, Buckner also scored the first goal of the match. He beat Webutuck goalie Nick Baker on a shot with just under 10 minutes left in the first half to give the Comets a 1-0 lead. Sophomore Victor Leventritt assisted on the goal.
Webutuck answered midway through the second half, however. At the 21:20 mark, Scott sent the ball over Fallsburg goalie Antonio Gamble and under the crossbar to knot the score at 1-1.
Then just two minutes later Webutuck took a one-goal lead as Reda scored.
Gamble finished the game with 13 saves and Seletsky had three saves. Seletsky entered the game for Gamble with 1:30 remaining in the second 10-minute overtime stanza after Gamble collided with Reda while making a save.
Baker finished with 14 saves for Webutuck.
The game was very even throughout, as each squad registered 19 shots on goal.
“I thought our guys did a super job,” Fallsburg Coach Paul Marsden said. “These kids played great.”
Despite playing the match without two injured starters and losing Gamble late in the contest, Marsden noted that the Comets kept competing throughout the game.
“Whenever you get to five-minute sudden victory overtimes, it’s anybody’s game,” Marsden said. “My guys never quit and they played with a lot of heart. I’m very proud of them.”

top of page  |  home  |  archives