140 Years Ago - 1881
“The poor ye have with you always, but the rich go away in the summer time.”
Assemblyman E.H. Pinney spent last Sabbath at his home in Jeffersonville.
The Erie cars …
140 Years Ago - 1881
“The poor ye have with you always, but the rich go away in the summer time.”
Assemblyman E.H. Pinney spent last Sabbath at his home in Jeffersonville.
The Erie cars are lighted with dual lamps. They are of American manufacture, are cheap and should be in more general use.
Between $800 and $900 has been raised by subscription in Cochecton for the purpose of building a town hall here this summer.
Henry Inderlied has sold his hotel stand on Lake Street, Liberty, near the depot, to Benj. W. Winner.
The house of George Hassenpflue, near the village of Jeffersonville, was completely destroyed by fire.
Persons using last year's crop of beans for food should be careful to see that there are no bugs concealed in them. Numerous cases of sickness from eating buggy beans have been reported lately.
For several days fires have been raging extensively in the town of Cochecton, along the Erie. Hundreds of acres of valuable young timber are annually destroyed in this manner.
The Eagle Hotel is now being supplied with a new plaza in the place of the old one, which had become unsafe. The front of the hall has also been newly painted.
Mr. A. Friend of New York and Miss Sarah Brown of Fallsburg were married at the home of the bride last Saturday. Two hundred invitations were issued.
Raftsmen from down the river report that sawed lumber is selling from $11 to $12 a thousand feet and logs from $6.50 to $6.75.
130 Years Ago - 1891
Louis P. Faubel of Jeffersonville and Miss Annie VanBerger of Kenoza Lake, were married at Hortonville on April 23rd.
At Callicoon Depot on Sunday, April 19th, Rev. S. Muery united in marriage George Robisch of Hortonville and Miss Hannah Nudorf of Callicoon Center.
Mr. Uhl, a wealthy New York gentleman and stepson of Mr. Ottendorfer of the States Zeitung, is expected to arrive in Kenoza Lake this week or next for the purpose of buying a farm to be used as a summer resort. It is hoped he will make a purchase.
L.P. Myers and family have taken possession of the Hall property in Youngsville. It is the intention of Mr. Myers to make many improvements about the place preparatory for summer boarders.
Will Collins of Hotel Shanly has rented his Jeffersonville farm to Charles Wilfert.
On April 16th, Miss Anna E. LaPolt and Clinton Lewis, both of White Lake, were married.
A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Seidell on April 26th.
On April 21st, a daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Vollerston of Youngsville.
Jones' market wagon, running from Jeffersonville to Newburgh weekly, began on Monday, April 20th.
The large bridge crossing the Callicoon stream in Jeffersonville was given some needed repairs this week.
The following were elected officers of Excelsior Baseball Club of Jeff: E.A. Brand, manager and secretary; Charles Homer, treasurer; J.H. Krenrich, field captain; and E.H. Pinney, umpire. The players are: J.H. Krenrich; 2nd base, E. Doughty; 3rd base, J. Doughty; shortstop, Bert Zopfi; center field, E.A. Brand; left field, E. Sheridan; right field, W. Wilson.
120 Years Ago - 1901
The opening of John Huggler's new hall at Kenoza Lake Saturday night, from all reports, appears to have been the greatest event in this vicinity for some time.
Mrs. Elizabeth Baum has sold her farm of 20 acres in Beechwoods to John Miller Jr. of New York.
Frederick Diehl of Beechwoods and Mary, daughter of Henry Keim, were married April 30th at the bride's home.
John F. Durr assumed the full management and control of the Jeffersonville House cafe.
Druggist Millspaugh of Liberty has purchased a building lot of George Fayerweather in White Lake and will erect a drug store on it.
Charles A. Ranft has begun improvements on his store building.
Samuel D. Newkirk, one of Wurtsboro's oldest citizens, died April 24 at the age of 80.
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. William Beiling of Youngsville on April 29th.
A daughter was born to Addison Wormuth and wife of Fosterdale on April 27th. He recently secured the stage route from Fosterdale to Narrowsburg for $318.
Twin daughters were born to Mr. and Mrs. W.G. Johnson of Livingston Manor on April 22nd.
John E. Gray of White Lake is building an immense addition to his popular pleasure resort and when completed will contain one of the largest bowling alleys and pavilions for dancing to be found in Sullivan County.
William L. Tyler of Lake Huntington and Meinna D. Fischback of Hanover, Germany, were married April 28th.
110 Years Ago - 1911
Robert B. McGinn, a young lawyer of Syracuse, has decided to locate in Jeffersonville and will be here next week to open offices in the building lately occupied by Judge Potts.
Theodore Leins of Callicoon Center and Miss Susan Esta Newmann were married April 19th.
William Weber, son of Peter Weber of Jeffersonville, has purchased a 400 acre farm in Maine.
A large and supposed valuable vein of copper was discovered in Monticello last week by C.S. Lambie Company which is putting in the sewer system there.
Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Moulthrop of Kenoza Lake are the parents of a daughter born April 24th.
Mr. Ray and Miss Bossley of White Sulphur Springs. were married at the parsonage last Wednesday.
Charles Gabel of Lava has sold about 15,000 feet of sawed white pine lumber to Martin Hermann of Callicoon.
A national bank with a capital of $25,000 is to be opened at Livingston Manor about July 1st. Dr. George H. Lathrop is spoken of as the probable president.
William Lieb went to New York Saturday to see his mother who was stricken there by illness.
100 Years Ago - 1921
Frederick Roemer of Union Hill and Miss Anna Stengel of North Branch were married on April 23.
Correction: The “Record,” last week, by mistake, gave the name of Herbert Hassis as one of the two boys who had left home and taken employment at Lake Huntington. It was Matthew Hassis, a brother, who left.
Francis Schick, the seven-year-old son of A. Schick of Obernburg, while playing with a young colt, had his ear bitten off by the old mare.
H.A. Maas, the West Hoboken sport, and Fred Schmidt, our bank cashier, went to Briscoe Lake one day last week and hauled out 30 pounds of fish.
Alan F. Lieb of Middletown is home this week helping to get out the Record, in the absence of his dad, who is in the city attending the Grand Lodge of Free Masons.
Miss Elfreda Angela Rampe of Liberty and John Joseph Cox of Brooklyn, were married on April 25.
The high cost of getting married has been boosted still higher by a new state law which increased the cost of a marriage license from one to two dollars.
A Livingston Manor woman's rib was recently removed by surgeons. It is not reported whether. they made a man of the rib.
A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bauernfeind of Beechwoods this week.
Senator and Mrs. George M. Reischmann came up from Brooklyn Saturday for an indefinite stay at John Abplanalp's in Youngsville.
Clarence Roth of White Sulphur Springs has torn down his blacksmith shop and intends to build a new and up-to-date one in its place.
90 Years Ago - 1931
The Callicoon Center Fire Department has voted to purchase a Ward-LaFrance fire truck which is to be delivered in about a month. The cost is about $4,000.
Miss Cecilia Revoir, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Revoir of Jeffersonville will be graduated as a nurse from the Orange Memorial Hospital in New Jersey on May 13th.
W.J. Grishaber of Jeffersonville and E.J. Schroeder of Youngsville have leased the Kenoza Falls House to Berkowitz and Fiebert of New York. The rental price is $8,000.
The three-story, 50-room Ramsay House at Kauneonga Lake, together with a large, garage, laundry, ice house and an 8-room cottage, burned Tuesday morning.
William Henry Bollenbach of Jeffersonville and Miss Margaret Veronica Nagengast of Bayonne, N.J. were married on April 23rd.
Mr. and Mrs. Simo Kiele entertained a number of friends at their home on East Hill on April 22 in honor of their 8th wedding anniversary.
Extensive improvements are being made on the old Maple Hotel in North Branch, now owned by George Reichmann. This will be a big improvement to the town.
A new concrete bridge is being built at Ed Weber's place in White Sulphur Springs, in place of the old iron one.
Fred Fries and family have moved into their new house in Youngsville which they recently built.
New fixtures are being installed in the White Sulphur Springs post office by Postmaster John H. Joyner.
80 Years Ago -1941
The Livingston Manor Central School band, under the direction of Mrs. Grace Ross, won first place in the state contest of school bands at Poughkeepsie.
Senator James M. Meade of Buffalo will be principal speaker at the Jeffersonian Dinner to be held at the Flagler Hotel.
Miss Harriet M. Cramer of North Branch and William H. Knosper of Callicoon were married at the rectory of St. Mary's Church in Obernburg on April 19th.
Dorothy Hust, daughter of Floyd and Margaret Hust, became the bride of Arthur Cherry, son of Arthur and Anna Cherry, on April 14 at the Lutheran parsonage in Jeffersonville. Ida Hust was bridesmaid and Arthur Cherry Sr. was best man for his son.
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Chellis of Jeffersonville at the Monticello Hospital on April 26th.
A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Morris Yeager of Liberty at the hospital on Tuesday, April 29th.
Charles Fisher of Hortonville and Walter Hartz of Callicoon were given a farewell party at Fisher's Crystal Shower. They will leave in the draft.
Attorney John Bright of Middletown has been appointed by President Roosevelt as a federal judge for the Southern District of New York.
A special election will be held at Mechanic's Hall, North Branch, on May 12, to vote on the proposition to buy a new fire truck for $3,000.
A surprise party was given to Mr. and Mrs. William Schurer of Youngsville to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary on April 27th.
Postmaster and Mrs. George H. Raum of Kenoza Lake returned after a ten day trip to Cuba and Miami, Fla.
Two hundred and twenty-five persons were present at the county-wide 4-H Rally Day held at the Jeffersonville Central School on April 26th.
The cherry and plum trees are in bloom at the Haase and Heins orchards near Milanville, Pa.
Police Sergeant Fred Hick of New York was in town and made arrangements with Otto Bollenbach for the erection of a new seven-room house on the Hick tract below Falls Mills.
70 Years Ago - 1951
Mr. and Mrs. Stephen J. Hoffman of Jeffersonville have announced the engagement of their daughter to William Lockwood of Jersey City. Miss Hoffman is a registered nurse at the Medical Center in Jersey City.
Peter Saulina, manager of the Lions baseball team, has announced that spring practice will start on Sunday afternoon at the Lion's Field at 2.
Miss Anna Steinhauer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Steinhauer of Callicoon Center, and Emil Pfeifer, son of Mrs. Eva Pfeifer of Obernburg, were married at St. George's R.C. Church in Jeffersonville by Rev. Edward McGuire, O.F.M., pastor, last Saturday morning. A reception for fifty was held at Tumble Inn in Callicoon Center.
His Eminence Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York, will preside at the Solemn Mass of Thanksgiving which will be offered in the Chapel of St. Joseph's Seraphic Seminary of Callicoon on May 16 in celebration of the Golden Jubilee of the Seminary, it was announced this week by Rev. Cassian J. Kirk, OFM, Rector. Founded in 1901, St. Joseph's is the Preparatory Seminary for the Franciscan Fathers of the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus of New York, one of the four Provinces of the Order of Friars Minor in the United States.
Mrs. Molly Katz, wife of Alexander Katz, and mother of Simon Sattinger of Jeffersonville, died April 18 in Brooklyn. She had lived in Kohlertown in the Pine Inn in the early twenties.
Tommy Puerschner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edmund Puerschner, celebrated his 10th birthday on April 20 with a party for his friends.
The Lions Club will hold its annual Ladies Night banquet at Grossinger's on May 10th.
Daylight Saving Time starts Saturday night. Turn clocks ahead an hour before retiring.
60 Years Ago - 1961
Local gardeners started with vim and vigor on Sunday with their annual green thumb chores but their ambitions were throttled the next day when the high winds and a driving snowstorm hit the area to show us that winter is still with us.
Resumption of full-scale operations at the Liberty Airport were announced this week. The new pilot-manager will be Robert Schillinger, a World War II flier, who flew 22 missions over Europe as a bomber escort and ground strafer and is now a major in the Air Force Reserve.
Karl Spielmann, a student at Syracuse University, has the honor of having been placed on the Dean's List at the University for the past three years. This is a singular honor for this fine student.
Mrs. Frederick W.V. Schadt of Jeffersonville has been elected president of the Liberty-Loomis Hospital Auxiliary. Mrs. John Mergott, Liberty, was named 1st vice president; Mrs. Jack Sherwood, Livingston Manor, 2nd vice president; Mrs. Fred Rogers, Beaverkill, 3rd vice president; Mrs. Winfield Barley, Liberty, secretary; and Mrs. George Crispell, Femdale, treasurer.
The Jeffersonville School debating team came in second in the annual tourney of the New York State District of the National Forensic League held at Syracuse over the weekend.
Stanley Valis, 51, an electrician of Jeffersonville, was killed on Sunday night near the Lake Jefferson Hotel when he failed to negotiate a turn as his car struck the embankment.
Members of the Callicoon Women's Literary Club recently attended a convention of the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs at the Concord Hotel, Kiamesha Lake. Included in the group were Mrs. Lillian Schweinfest, Mrs. Dorothy Rumble, Mrs. Mary Deighton, Mrs. Florence Curtis, Mrs. Johanna Flaherty, Mrs. Alma Brown, Mrs. Mildred Slausenberg, Mrs Virginia Starck and Mrs. Gladys Bergner.
A large dairy barn on the farm of Ray Burns, located one and one-half miles north of Mongaup Valley on Gail Road, burned Wednesday morning.
A total of $30,000 was the estimated damage to Peppy's Restaurant, Route 17, near Bridgeville, in a mid-morning fire on Monday.
At the Callicoon Hospital, it was a daughter Saturday to Mr. and Mrs. Ed Mohn of Narrowsburg; a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Rake of Honesdale, Pa., RD, a week ago; and a son Monday to Mr. and Mrs. Art Tenbus of Hortonville.
Miss Edith Milk, a sophomore at St. Luke's Hospital, Newburgh, has been named Miss Student Nurse for 1961 of the 6th Area of New York State Student Nurses Association. With this honor, Edith becomes a candidate for the state student nurse title this fall. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Milk of Callicoon.
50 Years Ago - 1971
New York State has endorsed a proposal to create a national recreational area on the Delaware River to encompass an area of 75.4 miles between Hancock and Port Jervis.
Plans are being made to dedicate the new Grover M. Hermann Hospital Division of Community General Hospital of Sullivan County, located at Callicoon, on June 13. The hospital will be open and ready for patients July 1 of this year if present plans come to fruition. This is the only satellite hospital to be built in New York State this year.
Miss Helen Hermann, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Hermann of Callicoon, became the bride of John Kohrs of Milanville, Pa., on April 3, at the Hortonville Presbyterian Church. Rev. Arthur Smith performed the ceremony.
Miss Linda Atkins, former resident of Callicoon and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Atkins of Catskill, became the bride of Richard Oettinger in Catskill on April 17.
Firemen from three companies were unable to save the barn on the Arcuri property on Taggert Road in Bethel on Sunday. Five acres of grassland on the property was also burned when a small trash fire ignited the barn.
40 Years Ago -1981
Two brothers, formerly of Callicoon, John Minckler and Bruce Minckler, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Minckler of Canastota, were killed in an automobile accident on Saturday in Madison County. Mr. John Minckler is the husband of the former Gloria Rohrmann of Lake Huntington.
The Damascus Volunteer Ambulance Corps is holding an open house on April 25 at the corps' building in Tyler Hill to thank the community for their help in purchasing a new ambulance. The $38,900 vehicle will aid residents in need.
Word has been received from Ensign Michael Rieger, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Rieger of Cochecton, who is a civil engineer in the U.S. Navy in Guam, that he recently attended a banquet given by the officers of three visiting Japanese ships for the officers on Guam.
At the April 15 meeting of Fallsburg Lodge #1122 F&AM, six present and past District Deputy Grand Masters from its membership were honored. They were the late Harry Resnick, 1950-51; the late Isaac Silberman, 1956-57; Michael Diamond, 1962-63; Joseph Heller, 1968-69; Irving Cohen, 1974-75 and Seymour Kantrowitz, 1980-81. Each received a citation outlining his contributions to Masonry and the community. The open meeting was well attended by Masons, their wives and families. The first Grand Lodge in the State of New York was instituted on July 23, 1781.
Pat and Tom Moore, whose family has owned the famous Mamakating lead mines on the Shawangunk Ridge near here for generations, have sold the 289-acre parcel including the mines to a New Paltz resident who has said he will use the property for hunting.
Jean and Bill Haramis, formerly of Callicoon, have remodeled the storefront of their place of business in Honesdale, Pa., known as The Coffee Grinder, and are now opened for business.
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Bishop of Jeffersonville are the proud parents of a son, Travis James, born Thursday, April 16, at Community General Hospital in Harris. Mrs. Helen Bishop of Long Eddy and Mrs. Gladys Leonardo of Kenoza Lake are the happy godparents.
30 Years Ago - 1991
A reception was given to newly appointed Postmaster Mary D. Davis on April 12 in front of the Wurtsboro Post Office with about 50 people attending. A 24-year postal employee, she succeeds former Postmaster Robert Olcott who retired in 1988.
Through the efforts of students at the Narrowsburg Central School, $2,770 was raised for the American Heart Association through a “Jump Rope for the Heart” marathon.
Fourteen of the 25 living past presidents of the Sullivan County Volunteer Firemen's Association were honored Saturday night at the 35th annual dinner in the Woodbourne Firehouse. James Curry of Livingston Manor, a retiring fire determiner and deputy fire coordinator, was presented with the “Fireman of the Year” award by Coordinator Harold Kronenberg.
More than 350 people attended the 43rd annual banquet of the United States Harness Writers Association, held at the Meadowlands on April 7. Allen Finkelson, former “Mighty M” publicity man and currently vice president and public relations chief at Pompano Park in South Florida, received the president's award.
The new headquarters for Cablevision Industries is nearing completion in Liberty. Started in 1956 by Liberty resident Alan Gerry, Cablevision is now the ninth largest independent cable operator in the United States.
Matthew J. Murphy, an affiliate of the Stewart Funeral Home since 1987, recently purchased the business. He and his wife, Debra, will reside in the Jeffersonville establishment and his brother, Mark, his wife, Kim, and their two daughters, Ashley and Lindsley, will reside at the Callicoon funeral home. Lloyd E. Heller is currently the manager of the Callicoon funeral home while Mark completes his registered residency of one year as required for licensure as a New York State Funeral Director.
Tom Dnistrian and Hal Roeder III will celebrate their first year on April 27 as owners of Buddenhagen's Garage in Hortonville.
20 Years Ago - 2001
Carmen Dieguez, home tutor for the Liberty Central School District, presented a $500 grant for the school from the ExxonMobil Foundation, to the Board of Education president Philip Olsen recently, on behalf of fueling station 52-Pickup of Liberty.
Jennifer Lynn Raponi of Tarrytown, daughter of Marcia and Eugene Raponi of Forestburgh, became the bride of Robert Triestmann on September 23, 2000 in a ceremony held at the Wallkill Golf Club in Middletown.
The engagement of Jill Norris of Callicoon Center, daughter of the late Charles B. and Joyce Norris, formerly of Fremont Center, and David Stucker, son of Yvonne and Donald Schmidt of Callicoon Center and William and Dee Stucker of Gibson, Pa., has been announced.
The Democrat's annual Easter Egg Coloring Contest was awarded to Katie Rehm of Grahamsville in the 4-6 year category, Kristin Wingert of Narrowsburg in the group for 7-9 year-olds, and Alicia Bowers of Middletown, who won in the 10-12-year-old group. Each won $25 in cash, as well as a coupon for a kid's meal from the sponsor, Kentucky Fried Chicken of Monticello.
10 Years Ago - 2011
One of the biggest drug busts in New York State history occurred in southern Sullivan County. More than 7,000 marijuana plants - with a street value of $10-20 million - were seized, and 15 people were arrested in an investigation that spanned seven homes in the town of Mamakating, Lumberland and Highland.
Lee Hoiby of Long Eddy, one of America's greatest composers, has passed away at the age of 85 at the Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx. Hoiby and collaborator/companion Mark Shulgasser have called Long Eddy home since 1981.
Dozens of people gathered for the ceremonial “First Cast” of the New York State trout fishing season at Junction Pool in Roscoe. Celebrity guest casters Grammy winning jazz pianist Laurence Hobgood and Academy Award Best Supporting Actor nominee Mark Ruffalo joined everyone casting a line into Junction Pool, where Little Beaverkill and Willowemoc Creek meet to begin the 2011 season.