Log in Subscribe
Down the Decades

May 9, 2023 Edition

Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
Posted 5/9/23

150 Years Ago - 1873

The “island” in the Delaware River was completely swept away by the late flood.

Mr. Charles Muller of Jeffersonville has recently produced an accurate and …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in
Down the Decades

May 9, 2023 Edition


150 Years Ago - 1873

The “island” in the Delaware River was completely swept away by the late flood.

Mr. Charles Muller of Jeffersonville has recently produced an accurate and neatly executed painting in oil colors of Jeffersonville. Mr. Muller is a young artist who bids fair to earn his laurels at an early age.

Mr. William Schmidt, one of Jeffersonville’s oldest and most re-spectable citizens, died on Sunday, the 11th. The deceased had arrived at the advanced age of 76, being born in the year 1797. He expired at the residence of his son-in-law, Valentine Schmidt.

School opened on May 1st with 130 pupils and continues until July when the summer vacation will be taken.

140 Years Ago - 1883

H.H. Terwilliger of Ellenville shipped 1,000,000 hoops last week via the canal. The chestnut hoops are being used on flour barrels in many of the factories.

Horse premiums given at the Jeffersonville Spring Fair (spelling is as in the original): Best Trotter, a type, matched team, A. Heidt; stallion, Benj. Edwards; breeding mare, Henry Wagner; single horse, Darius Sarr; 3 year old colt, Elias Dewitt; 1 year old colt, Peter Weber.

Cattle: Best yoke of oxen, Edward Steffens; best four year old steers, J. Bonhrman; best 3 year old steers, Peter Weber; best cow, Edward Moore; best two year old heifer, J. Denniston.

130 Years Ago - 1893

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Val Hessinger, a daughter.

W.P. Coventry expects to open his new hotel at Kenoza Lake about the first of June.

It is reported as a settled fact that the Callicoon Democrat will be removed to Narrowsburg in two or three weeks.

The new Depot in Liberty is nearly finished, and will be occupied by the 1st of June. It is indeed a handsome structure and without doubt the most expensive depot for its size on the line of the road.

Died on Swiss Hill, May 6, Elizabeth, widow of Martin Dutt-weiller, aged 65 years, 8 months and 3 days.

Conrad Metzger, one of the directors of the new bank soon to be started at Liberty, attended a meeting of the officers and directors at Liberty Monday.

School closes today in this village.

The water pipes are nearly all laid in Main Street (Liberty).

120 Years Ago - 1903

Forest fires are raging throughout the towns of Lumberland and Highland. The fire has entered the 20,000 acre preserve of C.W. Chapin and causing consternation among the deer, elk and other animals confined therein. Mr. Chapin has offered a $2,000 reward for information that will lead to the arrest and conviction of the party who started the fire.

The will of the late Jacob Bardenstein was probated before Surrogate Smith. The deceased left no real estate. To his daughter is given $100 of personal property. The rest is divided among the seven heirs, equal shares. Other than Matilda, who counts as one of the seven, are Kate Nuppenau, Jacob Bardenstein, Magdalene Neuman, Youngsville; Mary Portz of Roscoe, and the children of the deceased son, William.

Mrs. E.C. Brand has received a $2000 death benefit on her late husband, W.C. Brand, from St. Tammany Chapter, Knights of Honor, Callicoon Depot.

Nicholas Ernst of Peakeville has moved on the Ira Clute farm in Sixteen, formerly occupied by Jacob Huth, now owned by Michael Yager.

Six liquor licenses have been taken out in Jeffersonville for the new year, namely John Ludwig, Valentine Baum, Jacob Knell, Louis P. Faubel, Chas. Homer, Fred Dietz and Philip Bietz. The fee is $150.

110 Years Ago - 1913

Dr. Simeon A. Kemp of Callicoon was suddenly stricken while in the act of picking up a stick of wood in the yard of his home and died immediately. His wife and the drug clerk saw him fall.

Laura Moulthrop of Kenoza Lake and Wm. Weber of Chicago were married in the latter city. She is the daughter of the late Truman Moulthrop of Kenoza Lake and Mr. Weber is a son of William Weber of Beechwoods.

Wm. Deckelman of Obernburg and Beatrice Fitch of Long Eddy will teach the Hankins school next year.

Edward V. McDermott has been re-engaged as principal of the Youngs-ville school.

Supt. of Schools Charles D. Hick is happy as a lark over the arrival of a nine and a half pound son this morning.

A daughter arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Myers of Jeffersonville May 4.

100 Years Ago - 1923

Harry Knack of White Sulphur Springs will run an ice route to Jeffersonville this summer, beginning about May 15. Harry has 150 tons of ice stored at his home. This is a service that our village needs.

A 300 horsepower diesel oil engine and generator has been purchased by the Livingston Manor Electric Co. to be installed in the river of the Clarke Water and Power Co. in Jeffersonville about July 1. With the steam and water power equipment now in use, it is expected that the company can take care of its patrons’ needs and meet the increase of the next ten years.

Miss Genevieve Milroy, who was preceptress of the Callicoon High School from 1916 to 1919, has become a sister in the Dominican Order. She will be known as Sister Mary Virginia.

Dr. Gain now drives a Hatfield coupe, bought of E.F. Kohler. His Franklin sedan has been pensioned.

An inspector from the Education Department was here yesterday and will recommend that the Jeffersonville school be raised to full high school standard, application for which has been made.

William LeRoy Jr. and Almeda Eggler of Jeffersonville were married at the Presbyterian manse this morning. 

John Von Bergen, 63, died of pneumonia at the home of his sister, Mrs. L.P. Faubel Monday.

Bids are asked for completing 4.82 miles of state road from Falls Mills to Callicoon.

90 Years Ago - 1933

Miss Mary Spielman will reach her 98th birthday anniversary on May 12 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Ritters-hausen on East Hill, Youngsville. Her brother, Fred Cape, is three years younger than she is, but does not enjoy the same degree of good health. Both were born in Saxony, the children of George and Rosanna Kaeb as the name was then spelled. They settled on what is now known as the Cape farm where they built a log cabin in the wilderness for a home.

Over $1200 of school taxes of District No. 2, Callicoon, remain uncollected at the present. As a result the teachers are unpaid for April.

The governor signed a bill permitting the calling of two alternate jurors at the discretion of the court. Under this law if one of the regular jurors should die or become ill, one of the alternates would take his place.

The reopening of the First National Bank of Jeffersonville, after being closed for two months, is greatly appreciated by everyone, particularly the business people. After going two months without local banking facilities, the advantages of a bank in town is more fully appreciated than ever.

80 Years Ago - 1943

Miss Elaine Eleanor Dodge, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Dodge of Callicoon, and Lt. Frank W. Davidson of Bridgeport, Conn., were married at Newburgh on May 2. The bride is a music teacher in the Westport, Conn. schools and the groom is a journalist graduate and was employed on the Bridgeport Herald until his induction.

George Bury Sr., who bought the John Schwinge farm of 65 acres about 30 years ago, sold it this week to William Vanderlaan, a wholesale butcher of New York City.

Miss Catherine Brown has gone to Albany where she will be employed for the summer at the Hotel Wallington.

The house of Sam Gurtner of the former Jacob Bardenstein place, with its contents, was destroyed by fire resulting from a chimney fire.

The body of Sgt. Murray Roth was brought to his home here from Mississippi and given a military funeral. Rabbi Aaron Raskin of the Hashomer Hadati Co-op farm, the former Preston Becker place, held a service.

70 Years Ago - 1953

Fred Steinhauser became the sole owner of the Mootz and Steinhauser Automobile and Farm Machinery business at Callicoon Center on May 1st. Ralph Mootz, the other partner, is retiring from the business.

Leland Fish of East Branch, formerly of Fishs Eddy, suffered painful injuries last week at Roscoe when a boom on a stone dock fell, pinning him beneath. He was removed to Hancock hospital where he will remain for three weeks.

Mr. and Mrs. Nial Lindsley have returned to their Jeffersonville home from Florida after spending the winter there. Mr. Lindsley, a barber by trade, has gone to work in his brother Milton’s barber shop.

Libby Manzolillo, the Jeffersonville boy who figured prominently in boxing news before he was inducted into the Army, is due to get his discharge from military duty in a week or so, according to his brother, Cono, who was in town for the concert Saturday night.

60 Years Ago - 1963

Fred W. Stabbert of Callicoon, editor and publisher of the Sullivan County Democrat since 1927, died suddenly Sunday, April 28, at the Callicoon Hospital of a coronary occlusion. Born in Obernburg on January 5, 1903, he was a graduate of the Callicoon High School,  attended Cornell University and began work at the Democrat in 1924. He was active in many fraternal and civic organizations throughout the county. Mr. Stabbert is survived by his wife, Nellie Stevens Stabbert, four children, two sisters and a brother, and nine grandchildren. Burial was made in the Callicoon Methodist Cemetery.

Mrs. Lillian Wall has announced the engagement of her daughter, Lillian Cahill, to George A. Eden of Damascus. No date has been set for the wedding.

The Narrowsburg Theatre Group presented a very successful performance of “Oklahoma.” The proceeds are going to the Children’s Association, Callicoon Unit.

Mrs. Joseph Pere Jr. was credited with being the heroine of the day in saving her three children from asphyxiation in their home on Dingle Daisy Road, four miles south of Monticello Thursday afternoon. Mrs. Pere was burned about the face, arms and legs getting the third child. A fourth child was rescued by her father-in-law, who lives next door.

Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Waldron of Long Eddy celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on April 21 with an open house for their friends.

50 Years Ago - 1973

A narcotics raid last Friday night at Miller Road in Kenoza Lake, conducted by the Sheriff’s Department and State Police, resulted in the arrest of six persons, including a 14-year-old  Liberty high school girl, and was the result of a 2 1/2 month investigation of drug traffic in the Jeffersonville area.

An opening date of May 23 has been scheduled for the new Peck’s store in Callicoon. Grocery shelves are expected this week and over the weekend Mr. Peck hopes to have the flooring in.

Miss Joyce Hunter of Obern-burg was guest of honor at a bridal shower held at the Franklin VanGinhoven home in Fremont on April 27.

Sam Kashewagi, noted painter of Mileses, has a display of his works at the Roscoe Craft Center. Seventeen friends, most of them from the B&P Club of the Japanese American United Church of New York City, drove up to view Sam’s paintings on Sunday and later gathered at Sam’s house for dinner.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Neer Jr. of Long Eddy, announce the birth of a daughter, Yvonne Marie.

Wayne Elberth Jr. of Neversink will be given his Eagle Scout Medal at a Court of Honor in May.

Mr. and Mrs. Philip Schaefer celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary April 29 at the Presbyterian Church in Jeffersonville with at least one hundred guests calling to wish them well.

Mr. and Mrs. Donald Tate of White Sulphur Springs were given a Silver Wedding Anniversary party by their children at King’s in Livingston Manor.

40 Years Ago - 1983

Bloomingburg, the smallest incorporated village in New York State, marked its 150th birthday as a village Sunday with a gala celebration in the historic Dutch Reformed Church with over 150 visitors and residents present for the occasion.

Representative Ben Gilman (R-22) was guest speaker at the Loyalty Day parade held Sunday in Liberty. More than 40 units were in the parade. Mr. Gilman ended his remarks by telling the crowd gathered in the rain behind the Liberty Elks Lodge that the purpose of Loyalty Day was “to tell the world that we’re proud to be Americans.”

Wilber and Marion Dreher Long celebrated their Golden Anniversary on April 17 with a party attended by about 100 friends and relatives at the Hortonville Firehouse.

A check for $400 was recently given to the Delaware Youth Center as part of the proceeds from a Kiwanis sponsored pancake breakfast.

Arthur J. Bolton and Laura Robinson, seniors at the Eldred Central School, have been named valedictorian and salutatorian respectively.

Kathryn L. Klein of Rock Hill and Richard W. Gregory of Monticello were united in marriage on April 9 at the United Methodist Church in Rock Hill. A reception followed at King’s in Livingston Manor. . . Roni D. Fass of New City became the bride of Michael D. Wapnick of Monticello at the Tamcrest Country Club in Alpine, N.J. on March 27.

The Mountaindale Fire Company celebrated its 60th anniversary on Saturday with a gathering at Bernie’s in Rock Hill on April 16.

Charlotte West, a summer resident of Smallwood, will receive the annual Citizens Award from the Mt. Kisco Chamber of Commerce on May 11.

More than 250 people gathered to pay tribute to hospital volunteers who received the “Helping Hands” award. Recipients included Frances Erickson of Callicoon, Dolores DiRocco of Long Eddy, Morris Olewack of Loch Sheldrake and Sylvia Sugarman of Monticello. Peter Goldberg, director of volunteer services at the Callicoon and Harris division of Sullivan County’s Community General Hospital, was in charge of the festivities.

30 years ago - 1993

The Town of Liberty has received a 12 percent increase in state highway funding, after not expecting to receive anything this year. The state has come through with $124,518 in Consolidated Highway Improvement Program (CHIP) funding.

Members of the Liberty High School Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD) donned black apparel and white faces to symbolize how a person is killed as a result of drunk driving once every 24 minutes in the United States. In addition to a skit outlining the dangers of drinking and driving, the students also heard from a speaker who barely survived an alcohol-related crash.

Tom Huber of Callicoon has accepted the chairmanship and welfare secretary of the Callicoon-based IOU which works with the Salvation Army in meeting the needs of families in the area. Huber is also the vice president of the local group.

Twenty-one acres of town property were turned over to the Eldred Central School District for the construction of a new elementary school in a brief ceremony at the site on Saturday morning.

Melinda Davis of Long Eddy was selected as Sullivan County VFW Loyalty Day Queen. She is a senior at the Delaware Valley Central School and represents the Allan Milk Memorial Post No. 7276, Veterans of Foreign Wars, in Long Eddy.

20 Years Ago - 2003

Two major issues for the Sullivan County Legislature these days are potential casino problems and the state of the budget. Legislature Chair Leni Binder announced a committee would be formed to look at the impacts casinos will cause and how to mitigate them.

Robert Riesenberg, the son of Dr. J. Arthur and Ann Riesenberg of Liberty and a 1968 graduate of Liberty High School, won the Children’s Arts Medal from Young Audiences/New York on April 7. The medal is presented to individuals who show exemplary commitment to children and to the arts. Among his accomplishments, Riesen---berg worked tirelessly to rescue the family classic “Peter Pan” with Mary Martin from oblivion, bringing it back to NBC in 1989 after a 16-year hiatus.

Marissa Graby, a one-time Sullivan County star athlete and captain of the 2000 Penn State women’s basketball team that took their game to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament, recently defeated one of shock-jock Howard Stern’s cronies in a one-on-one basketball game. Graby was flown out to Las Vegas courtesy of the show, where she scored 16-14 against Artie Lange to win the match. Marissa is a 1996 graduate of Delaware Valley Central School in Callicoon. She is currently attending Temple University where she’s pursuing a master’s degree in sports administration.

10 Years Ago - 2013

State Police are investigating a body found along the Delaware River south of Narrowsburg. Saturday afternoon, accord-ing to police, canoeists discovered lifeless human remains on a rock in the river, near its confluence with Ten Mile River.

Family media brand Highlights for Children, Inc., recently honored Honesdale, PA, resident Kent L. Brown Jr. and Mullin, TX, resident Shirley Wendlandt for their 35 years of service on the Highlights board of directors. Brown and Wendlandt recently retired from the board.  Brown also served as editor of Highlights magazine from 1980 to 2001. Current Highlights CEO is Kent Johnson, a great-grandson of the founders. 

Though active for just a quarter-century, a little Narrowsburg-based public-private partnership has arguably had a more powerful influence on the Upper Delaware River Valley than the previous 10,000 years of human habitation. “Today, the river is peaceful and clean – far more than it was 150 years ago,” noted Shohola, Pa. historian George Fluhr. That’s thanks in part to the Upper Delaware Council (UDC), a unique amalgamation of state, federal and community representatives focused on protecting and enhancing the Delaware River.

By all accounts, Split Second Race Management’s first foray into Sullivan County with its Woodstock Triathlon Festival on Saturday was a resounding success. With nearly 200 endurance athletes from throughout the tri-state area participating in the inaugural event, race director Doug Rice, who back in March said he hoped for 150 people, was delighted. “It’s everything I imagined it would be in this gorgeous setting, and the folks from Sullivan County have been just top notch,” affirmed Rice.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here