Log in Subscribe

The Delaware Company commemorates the Battle of Minisink

By Matt Shortall
Posted 7/27/21

Friends, history enthusiasts and honored guests gathered at the Minisink Battleground Park on Saturday afternoon to mark the 242nd anniversary of the Battle of Minisink.

Hosted by the Delaware …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

The Delaware Company commemorates the Battle of Minisink

Posted

Friends, history enthusiasts and honored guests gathered at the Minisink Battleground Park on Saturday afternoon to mark the 242nd anniversary of the Battle of Minisink.

Hosted by the Delaware Company, this annual gathering remembers a major skirmish during the American Revolutionary War that was fought in the northern Delaware Valley on July 20, 1779.

A rugged frontier at the time, Mohawk War Chief and British Army Captain Joseph Brant led a raid with about 60 Iroquois and 27 Tories against some 120 militiamen led by Continental Army Colonel John Hathorn and Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Tusten. A decisive victory for the British, Brant’s force routed the colonials, killing at least 46, including Tusten, in a brutal battle amongst the rocky hills and trees overlooking the Delaware River.

It was at this site on Saturday that people gathered to commemorate those who perished.

Keynote speaker and President of the Bold Gold Media Group, Vince Benedetto, thanked all those responsible for maintaining the Minisink Battleground Park so that future generations can learn about our local connection to the struggle for American independence.

“I’ve always felt a tremendous sense of sadness for those who do not feel the connection to their history,” Benedetto said. “Not knowing one's history is to not know one’s self. Nations and civilizations that are ignorant of their history and fail to take time to learn and understand the delicate fabric that binds us together as free people will not long remain free.”

Sullivan County Historian and Delaware Company President John Conway served as master of ceremonies.

Historical reenactors included the Navasing Long Rifles, the 143rd NYS Volunteer Infantry and the 5th NY Infantry participated in the ceremony.

Memorial wreaths were dedicated by the Beaverkill, Old Mine Road, Minisink and Wayne chapters of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. The names of all those who died in the battle were read aloud.

A historic marker near the monument explains that the Minisink Battleground Park was established by the Minisink Valley Historical Society in the early 20th century to prevent its destruction by bluestone quarrying operations. It’s been owned by Sullivan County since 1955.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here